The People's Money (2022-2023)
Your Money, Your Community, Your Voice.
Eliminate Food waste
What problem would you like to solve?
Why is it important to solve? Why is it relevant for the community?
Food is expensive and New Yorkers could eat healthier and reduce food waste if they knew how to store their food more effectively.
What idea do you have to address the problem?
Partnering with various farmer’s markets to sponsor stalls offering information.
These could be
- Information about what’s in season, how to clean and store them, and how to use all the parts of a fruit or vegetable
- On site cooking classes and samples and recipes using things in season
- Education about local animals/insects that also have a connection to our vegetation
- HIstory of native vegetation
- Tour guide of the market (someone who can assist in different languages)
- Compost education in addition to drop-off: Where does it go? How long does it take? Misconceptions. Sign up sheet to see compost sites/ volunteer
- Recycling education/ a place to ask questions
- Info about tax deductions for green initiatives
- Give back program- to encourage folks to bring food scraps for composting or volunteering at compost centers. They can get rewards such as vouchers for use at the market
All of these should be available in multiple languages, braille, etc
Who would that help?
Everyone. It would also help the environment and divert waste from just the sanitation department to local composting facilities.
What NYC borough would benefit from your idea?
List of Endorsements
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?